The current project status is that what I would describe as the major mechanical design is completed. That is I now know:
- Where the engine & gearbox are going to be located.
- Where the driver and passenger will be housed.
- Where the wheels are going to be located.
- Where the suspension mounting points and dampers are going to be located.
- Where the steering rack will be located.
And most importantly of all how to tie all of this together with a structure that is as stiff as possible and has sufficient strength and is not excessivley heavy.
In short I’m at the point where I feel confident enough in the desingn to go start making it.
The little list above tookover a year of thought to resolve to this point, what I’ve now got is a design for the chassis frame that weighs ~125Kg for the steel tube framework including the roll frame and has a stiffness in excess of 15Kn Per degree which I think is sufficient.
So the next thing to be done is to get on with fabricating the frame.
I have a number of tubs that require bending as part of the design, not having the equipement to do this I’m now in the process of tracking down a company who’ll do this for a fair price.